st: Re: Intercepts and Slopes as Outcome Model, xtmixed

From   "Joseph Coveney" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Intercepts and Slopes as Outcome Model, xtmixed
Date   Sat, 15 Jun 2013 16:21:44 +0900

Saul G. Alamilla wrote:

I am interested in estimating an intercepts and sloes as outcome model in Stata
(11.2) using xtmixed (however, I am open to using other estimation or procedural
methods; e.g., hlm in Stata).

Here's the model I would like to estimate, in the abstract and in level notation
(Raudenbush &Bryk, 2002):
Level 1:
Yij = b0j + b1jXij +eij,

Level 2:
b0j= g00+ g01Wj+m0j
b1j= g10+ g11Wj+m1j,

where b_j refers to the slope for level 1 intercept/predictors, g_j refer to the
slope for level 2 predictors, eij refers to level 1 error, and m_j refer to
level 2 error.

How would/could I run such a model using xtmixed in Stata?

Is xtmixed capable of running such a model?

Would comparing these two URLs help: (showing
Raudenbush-Bryk notation in HLM screenshots), and (showing
corresponding syntax for Stata's -xtmixed-)?

Joseph Coveney