Re: st: Rolling regression without "clear"

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Rolling regression without "clear"
Date   Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:45:38 +0100

There is no difference in principle. Even if you have a stored scalar, say

scalar foo = 42

you can supply its value like this

...  , window(`=foo')

so that what happens is

1. Stata sees the expression to be evaluated `=foo'   -- goes then
into a corner -- and comes back with the result of that evaluation,
here 42

2. -rolling- itself sees -window(42)- and moves on.

If your name could be confused with a variable name, then

..., window(`=scalar(foo)')

disambiguates.  Documentation starts at -help macro-, but you have to
dig a bit deep to see it from documentation.

For a local macro,

..., window(`foo')

would work, but for a scalar, a beast of a different kind, syntax is
slightly different.