Re: st: Selecting within a subset of observations

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Selecting within a subset of observations
Date   Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:25:29 +0100

Maarten is quite correct here. Dates are in many ways special in Stata
but the last date is just the maximum date and identifiable by
whatever identifies the maximum in your situation.

In addition, a

. search date, faq

would have pulled up an FAQ which gives advice on other versions of
the problem too.

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Generating the last date
        7/11    How can I generate a variable containing the last of
                several dates?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data-management/
                generating-last-date/

There is even advice on first dates, which might prove to be what you
need sometimes.