Re: st: matching children and parents

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: matching children and parents
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2013 08:48:20 -0400

The lookup problem is one I often run into in Stata. That is, retrieving a value for a variable using a (unique!) identifier from another.

One solution I have used is to store the variable of interest in a matrix. If (!) your ID is a unique string, then you can

  mkmat education, matrix(E) rownames(ID)
  gen motheredu= el("E",rownumb("E",motherID),1)