Re: st: matching children and parents

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: matching children and parents
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:26:57 +0100

This is an FAQ:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/members.html

is an out-of-date URL, but you should be re-directed. (As I write the
Stata site seems to be temporarily inaccessible.)

Another approach is schematically

egen mother_education = total(education / (person == mother)), by(household_id)

which assumes that education is a numeric variable and there is at
most one mother in each household. This is likely to be too simple, so
see the FAQ above.

Another approach is to reduce your dataset to a dataset of mothers and
a dataset of children and then -merge-.

Nick
njcoxstata@gmail.com