st: matching children and parents

From   Andrea Smurra <andrea.smurra@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: matching children and parents
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:15:47 +0630

Hello everyone.
I am dealing with a big household survey.
I am interested in child labor and education and my objective is to create variables for each children representing parents or household' characteristics.
In particular, for each children I created two variables specifying the IDs of mother and father. Now I would like to create a  variable that, for each children, specifies parents' education in the following way

motheredu_i=education[motherID_i]

where education is a variable already in the dataset

I know a way to do this, but it is extremely time consuming and I was wondering what would be the syntax to create the above "function".

Thanks.