Re: st: including parentheses in stata helpfile

Subject   Re: st: including parentheses in stata helpfile
Date   Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:59:37 -0400

And the classy page here is also quite entertaining:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/06/ascii-pronunciation-rules-for-programmers.html
Does anybody know what's the story behind the "wax/wane" naming?

Nick, in quite a few languages ({[< are denoted with two words, where
one is responsible for the concept of 'join' and the other for
'shape'. Hence whatever English word you first learn for 'join'
usually sticks for life. Thus I am more likely to say "round brackets"
and "square brackets", rather than "parentheses" and "brackets" (and
to some extent because of the excruciating pain of spelling
parentheses/parenthesis).

Best, Sergiy