st: Expansion for Choice set 0/1

From   "Ferro,Gabrielle A" <gferro@ufl.edu>
Subject   st: Expansion for Choice set 0/1
Date   Fri, 7 Jun 2013 15:31:13 +0000

I have a data set that includes current place of residence and place of residence 1 year prior.  I am looking to expand the data set so that each observation becomes 48 observations where for each new observation, the individual has the "choice" to migrate to each of the 48 contiguous states.  I would like to create a 0/1 for each state to show that they moved there or did not.  In addition I need to be able to find the difference in several state-level variables between the state they moved to (or had the option to move to) and the state 1 year prior.  I am looking for the most efficient way to do this.  Thank you for your help.

Gabrielle Ferro
Graduate Student
Food and Resource Economics
University of Florida