Re: st: AW: tabplot how to get rid of Graphs by ?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: AW: tabplot how to get rid of Graphs by ?
Date   Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:29:15 +0100

OK. I have an initial guess at what the problem might be.

In essence, -tabplot- has no special logic to calculate results for
the total graph implied by -by(, total)-. I would call that an
undocumented limitation. If you wanted to call it a bug you would have
a good case. I think I need to document it.

What you want may possibly be better approached with a trick. I will
illustrate with the auto data. I get the impression that you are
fluent enough in Stata to work out the equivalent for your problem.

sysuse auto, clear

expand 2

replace rep78 = 6 in 75/L

 label def rep78 6 "Total"

 label val rep78 rep78

gen himpg = mpg > 30

tabplot himpg foreign, by(rep78) percent(foreign rep78) showval

That way "all observations" just becomes an extra category.