Re: st: imputing dates into a string date

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: imputing dates into a string date
Date   Fri, 7 Jun 2013 12:46:30 +0100

Interesting. Clearly this doesn't work; I spent a few minutes trying
to work out exactly why, and failed abysmally.

replace dx_clean = "1" + dx_clean if substr(dx_clean, 1, 1) == "/"

may be a good start.

However, Steve Samuels and I discussed exactly this problem in

SJ-12-1 dm0062  . . . . . . . . . Stata tip 105: Daily dates with missing days
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  S. J. Samuels and N. J. Cox
        Q1/12   SJ 12(1):159--161                                (no commands)
        presents strategies for dealing with daily dates where
        some observations only provide the month and year

Imputing with the  first of the month biases any differences between
two dates, which are likely to be too long or too short, depending on
which comes first. We had better suggestions.