st: ice "variable not found"

From   Nick Chandler-Klein <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: ice "variable not found"
Date   Wed, 5 Jun 2013 23:31:34 -0700

I'm running ice to impute data with the following command:

ice `varlist1' `varlist2', m(10) conditional(`varlist2' : condition)
sav(imputed.dta, replace) persist

It begins to impute (gets two "dots" into the first imputation) and
then stops with the error "variable __00003T not found"

So ice is calling one of its tempvars but it can't find it. Since the
variable has an in-program name I don't really have a way of tracing
the problem.

Any tips here? How do I go about troubleshooting this? If it helps,
when I instead run

ice `varlist1', m(10) sav(imputed.dta, replace) persist

it runs fine and goes through all the imputations. Is there something
weird I should be looking for in varlist2? Or does adding conditionals
generally lead to these sorts of problems?