st: esttab allow description of variables to span multiple columns

From   Santosh Anagol <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: esttab allow description of variables to span multiple columns
Date   Tue, 4 Jun 2013 08:58:18 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I would like to include some long descriptions of sets of variables
using the refcat option for esttab. The problem is the first column of
the table becomes very wide when I do this. Is there a way that esttab
can automatically put the long descriptions across multiple columns
(above the coefficients of the models) so that the whole table does
not end up so wide?

Here's an example where I'd like the descriptions "These are the size
variables" and "These are the non-size variables to span multiple
columns.

sysuse auto
eststo b1: quietly regress price weight length
eststo b2: quietly regress price weight length mpg
eststo b3: quietly regress price weight length mpg foreign

esttab b1 b2 b3, keep(weight length mpg foreign) mtitles ///
refcat(weight "These are the size variables" mpg "These are the
non-size variables", nolabel) varwidth(40)

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Santosh