Re: st: Bar Graph Chart

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Bar Graph Chart
Date   Mon, 3 Jun 2013 13:08:32 +0100

(People interested in this kind of thing should also look at the
thread started by Andrea Bennett

http://hsphsun3.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.1305/date/article-1047.html

including my posts there.)

If you made the labels much smaller, they would be very hard to read.

It seems to me that what you are seeing is an inevitable consequence
of using a (vertical) bar chart. You run out of space to show text.

Go horizontal! In particular, look at -statplot- on SSC. Here is an example.

 webuse citytemp

 clonevar temp1 = tempjan

clonevar temp7 = tempjuly

 label var temp1 "January"

label var temp7 "July"

statplot temp1 temp7, over(region) over(division) nofill stat(count)