st: medeff command negative percentage of total effect mediated

From   "worldpatient ." <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: medeff command negative percentage of total effect mediated
Date   Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:16:20 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I am using the user-written command -medeff command in Stata/IC 11 for
Windows to test for causal mediation effects.
My outcome is binary and my mediator is continuous.

My question has to do with the interpretation of the percentage and
95%CIs of total effect mediated. In my analysis, the direct and total
effects although not significant are negative while the indirect
effect is positive and very small.
As a result the percentage of the total effect mediated is negative
and the CIs range from -203 to 46..

Is there a way that I could interpret the percentage of the total
effect mediated and the CIs when this percentage is negative and the
CIs are so wide?

Many thanks,
Maria