RES: st: recovering markov transition matrix from cross sections surveys

From   "Henrique Neder" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RES: st: recovering markov transition matrix from cross sections surveys
Date   Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:56:59 -0300

Maarten

Thanks for your suggestion but actually my information consists of a set of
10 independent random samples (not a panel) with information on the state of
poverty (poverty or not) of each household and several independent variables
that are supposed to explain (or cause) the poverty status. The sample at
time t is not comprised of the same individuals that are contained in sample
at time t-1. As there is not a panel, we cannot use the command xttrans to
derive the transition probabilities. We cannot directly calculate the
probability of an individual i in t-1 which is in the 0 state to pass, for
example, to state 1 or remain in state 0. Therefore the suggestion of using
a logit (or a set of logits) for estimating these transition probabilities
based on independent samples and repeated in time is apparently not possible
to be implemented. I imagine there might be a methodology that indirectly
retrieve these transition probabilities using eg Bayesian statistics. Do you
know any possibility for this or any literature that is driven in this way?

Regards, Henrique