st: RE: Batch convert characters in variable labels

From   Haluk Vahaboglu <vahabo@hotmail.com>
Subject   st: RE: Batch convert characters in variable labels
Date   Sat, 1 Jun 2013 05:55:15 +0000

Hello,
I am using STATA 12 during my clinical research activities. In my country (Turkiye) we work with databases encoded according to Codetable ISO/IEC 8859-9.
When I import data from an excel workbook, naturally variable names omit special characters (Ğ, İ, Ş, ğ, ı, ş) which are considerably common in Turkish. Since lots of characters ommitted in variable names these become puzzling to work.
However, I see these characters in variable labels.
If I may be able to change characters in variable labels and assign these converted labels as variable names it would work for me.
Could anyone help me to batch convert special characters in variable labels and assign these converted labels as variable names?
Thank
you in advance

Prof. Dr. Haluk Vahaboğlu
Istanbul Medeniyet