st: Replacing observations with values from other observations

From   "Pounds, Moses A." <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Replacing observations with values from other observations
Date   Fri, 31 May 2013 16:31:53 -0400

Hello everyone,

I would like to replace specific observations with values from other observations. I can use

replace var1 = 500 if obsID==5

to replace the value for variable 1 in the observation with ID number 5, with the quantity 500. What I would like is code that allows me to make a reference to another observation, in place of that "500." Does anyone have a way to do this? (My option of last resort is to do this in Excel, but I would prefer to keep working in Stata.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Moses A. Pounds
Program Evaluator
Baltimore City Public Schools
Office of Achievement and Accountability

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained herein by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.