st: change grouping in Stata -graph- command

From   Andrea Bennett <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: change grouping in Stata -graph- command
Date   Fri, 31 May 2013 14:58:33 +0200

Hi there

I've spent hours on the following issue but seem to be unable to find the correct way to deal with such a graph:

I have questionnaire data where people are ask how much they liked some aspect; e.g. three variables LOCATION, PRICE, TEMPERATURE (all 1-7 scale).

Both the treatment and control group filled in the same questionnaire. I want to see graphically how the treatment and control groups differ in above dimensions.

The following produces the correct data but groups in a "wrong" way. The groups are divided into treated/not-treated:

graph bar location price temperature, over(treated)

However, I would like to have the following:

Location - not treated
Location - treated

Price - not treated
Price - treated

Temperature - not treated
Temperature - treated

I really don't see who I can produce this result. Options such as -asy- or -asc- seem to go into the right direction but are not producing the result I desire. I would think that this is a rather common feature but it seems utterly difficult to get.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,