Re: st: Enumerate dataset chars

From   Matthew White <>
Subject   Re: st: Enumerate dataset chars
Date   Wed, 29 May 2013 13:21:03 -0400

Dear Sergiy,

The -:char- extended macro function can return a list of an evarname's
characteristics. For example, the following keeps only the
characteristic _dta[ReS_i] after -reshape-:

webuse reshape1, clear

reshape long inc ue, i(id) j(year)

char list

local chars : char _dta[]
local keep ReS_i
local chars : list chars - keep
foreach char of local chars {
    char _dta[`char']

char list

The SSC packages -chardef- and -charutil- might also help.

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Sergiy Radyakin <> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I need to cleanup all the chars left by Stata's -reshape- command.
> Both 'char list' and 'char dir' can show me what chars are defined,
> but I can't get the full list from the program (they do not save
> anything in the r- or s-results).
> There is no 'char drop _all' , 'char drop *', 'char clear' or anything
> similar. The only way appears to be to drop all the data, but this is
> not what I can afford. Also reshape itself does not seem to have
> anything like 'reshape cleanup'.
> So looking into the following snippet, what do I write instead of X to
> save the dataset with char mytest1 only?
> sysuse auto, clear
> char _dta[mytest1] first
> char _dta[mytest2] second
> ** ...X.......
> save mydta
> Do not suggest 'char _dta[mytest2]' unless there is also a full list
> of what mytest2 is after any reshape command.
> Thank you, Sergiy
> PS: in all of the above char is 'characteristic', not 'character'
> function char()
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Matthew White
Senior Project Associate
Innovations for Poverty Action
101 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510 USA