Re: st: Need help with working with multiple files

From   Michael Stewart <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Need help with working with multiple files
Date   Tue, 28 May 2013 09:03:11 -0400

Dear Statalist user ,
I am having problem with saving files after damamanagement tasks using
a locals in foreach loop and facing difficulty.(As I try to work with
three datasets, the output is only one dataset).I have tried many
options, sought help of statlist but able to correct the problem
partially but there is a bug somewhere.  I am here with posting the
code and stata output with "traceon".May be any one could please help
me.

MY CODE / DO FILE IS AS FOLLOWS
local ds1 "D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta"
local ds2 "D:\_Dummy\multiple\2\auto_2.dta"
local ds3 "D:\_Dummy\multiple\3\auto_3.dta"
local all ds1 ds2 ds3
foreach x in `all'{
use ``x'',clear
di "``x''"
include "D:\_Dummy\multiple\4\mpg.do"
di "``x''"
include "D:\_Dummy\multiple\5\sum.do"
save ``x''_new.dta,replace
}

mpg DO FILE IS AS  FOLLOWS ( NO FOREACH LOOP IN THIS DOFILE)
gen mean=sum(mpg)

sum DOFILE IS AS FOLLOWS  (FOREACH LOOP PRESENT  IN THIS DOFILE)
foreach x of varlist price mpg rep78 trunk{
gen x_`x'=`x'==3
}

PROBLEM: instead of generating three new  datasets , it is generating
one dataset _new.

MY STATA OUTPUT IS AS FOLLOWS(WITH TRACE ON AND DEBUGGNG STEP di
``x''); LOOKS LIKE AFTER EXECUTUNG THE SECOND DOFILE (WITH FOREACH
LOOP) di ``x''  shows nothing!!!!!

****************************************************************************************************************************
 local ds1 "D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta"

. local ds2 "D:\_Dummy\multiple\2\auto_2.dta"

. local ds3 "D:\_Dummy\multiple\3\auto_3.dta"

. local all ds1 ds2 ds3

. foreach x in `all'{
  2. use ``x'',clear
  3. di "``x''"
  4. include "D:\_Dummy\multiple\4\mpg.do"
  5. di "``x''"
  6. include "D:\_Dummy\multiple\5\sum.do"
  7. save ``x''_new.dta,replace
  8. }
- foreach x in `all'{
= foreach x in ds1 ds2 ds3{
- use ``x'',clear
= use D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta,clear
(1978 Automobile Data)
- di "``x''"
= di "D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta"
D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta
- include "D:\_Dummy\multiple\4\mpg.do"

. gen mean=sum(mpg)

.
. - di "``x''"
= di "D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta"
D:\_Dummy\multiple\1\auto_1.dta
- include "D:\_Dummy\multiple\5\sum.do"

. gen xx= sum(weight)

. foreach x of varlist price mpg rep78 trunk{
  2. gen x_`x'=`x'==3
  3. }
  - foreach x of varlist price mpg rep78 trunk{
  - gen x_`x'=`x'==3
  = gen x_price=price==3
  - }
  - gen x_`x'=`x'==3
  = gen x_mpg=mpg==3
  - }
  - gen x_`x'=`x'==3
  = gen x_rep78=rep78==3
  - }
  - gen x_`x'=`x'==3
  = gen x_trunk=trunk==3
  - }

.
. - save ``x''_new.dta,replace
= save _new.dta,replace
file _new.dta saved
- }
- use ``x'',clear
= use D:\_Dummy\multiple\2\auto_2.dta,clear
(1978 Automobile Data)
- di "``x''"
= di "D:\_Dummy\multiple\2\auto_2.dta"
D:\_Dummy\multiple\2\auto_2.dta
[...]

= use D:\_Dummy\multiple\3\auto_3.dta,clear
(1978 Automobile Data)
- di "``x''"
= di "D:\_Dummy\multiple\3\auto_3.dta"
D:\_Dummy\multiple\3\auto_3.dta
[...]

end of do-file

So as you have noticed a, after executing dofile  "sum", the naleof
the file is being removed and di "" shows nothing.

Can anyone of the users help fix the bug.

Thank you
Mike

Thank you ,
Yours Sincerely,