Re: st: creating panel of household surveyed in different year

From   Chamara Anuranga <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: creating panel of household surveyed in different year
Date   Wed, 22 May 2013 11:16:25 +0530

Dear Prarkash

There are different way you can do same thing on Stata. If your
dataset organized like this I suggest to do the following
bys hhid: gen numsurvey=_N
bys hhid: egen minyear=min(survey_year)

gen entry=survey_year==minyear
bys hhid: egen maxyear=max(survey_year)
gen exit=survey_year==maxyear

numsurvey gives the number of times each household appear on the survey
entry is 1 if the household appear on the survey at first time and otherwise 0
exit is 1 if the household surveyed  at the last time
do the label defne for entry and exit variables.

label define yesno 1 "Yes"  2 "No"
label val entry yesno
label val exit yesno

if household only survey once entry and exit both get 1 (yes). However
you can  change the variable way you prefer base on numsurvey
variable.

Hope this help.

Thanks,
Chamara