Re: st: Row mode

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Row mode
Date   Thu, 16 May 2013 08:31:17 +0100

See http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-04/msg00301.html for a
comment on expressions like "a data".

The easiest way I know is to -reshape- before and after. Note that
-egen, mode()- won't play with your 4th example, where 3 and 4 tie for
mode, so you need a rule such as -minmode-.

. l

     +---------------------------+
     | row1   row2   row3   row4 |
     |---------------------------|
  1. |    1      3      1      4 |
  2. |    3      3      4      1 |
  3. |    1      4      2      2 |
  4. |    4      4      3      3 |
     +---------------------------+

. gen id = _n

. reshape long row, i(id)
(note: j = 1 2 3 4)

Data                               wide   ->   long
Number of obs.                        4   ->      16
Number of variables                   5   ->       3
j variable (4 values)                     ->   _j
xij variables:
                     row1 row2 ... row4   ->   row

. egen mode = mode(row), by(id) minmode

. reshape wide
(note: j = 1 2 3 4)

Data                               long   ->   wide
Number of obs.                       16   ->       4
Number of variables                   4   ->       6
j variable (4 values)                _j   ->   (dropped)
xij variables:
                                    row   ->   row1 row2 ... row4