Re: st: complicated twoway graph

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "<>" <>
Subject   Re: st: complicated twoway graph
Date   Mon, 13 May 2013 11:58:24 +0000

On 2013 Beal 9, at 22:50, David Hoaglin wrote:

> Maria,
> What comparisons are you trying to make in your data?
> One key idea in creating better graphical displays is to avoid divided
> (or stacked) bar charts.  The sort of chart that Sergiy suggested is
> likely to be less effective for almost any comparison than a number of
> alternatives.  The book by Naomi Robbins (2005) has some good
> examples.
> David Hoaglin
> Robbins, Naomi B. (2005). Creating More Effective Graphs.  John Wiley
> & Sons. (It is being re-issued, if it hasn't been already.)

A very interesting document by Ms Robbins. containing 166 pieces of sound advice on the preparation and use of graphs can be found at

It makes me think that I should order her book.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland