st: RE: save iterations of xtmelogit - need to break/pause

From   tshmak <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: save iterations of xtmelogit - need to break/pause
Date   Thu, 9 May 2013 13:11:47 +0800

Hi Ann,

Despite your 160,000 individuals, I am rather unsure you have enough data to fit a model with 4 random effects, if that's what you mean by 4 levels. Since it's a logistic regression, perhaps a better measure of how much data you have is the smaller of the number of 1's and 0's. There's probably huge uncertainty over the variance of the random effects, and Stata is having a hard time converging.

My suggestion is:
1. Try and fit a simpler model. Perhaps some of the random effects have only a handful number of different values. Perhaps consider treating them as fixed-effects?
2. Consider doing it in WinBUGS/OpenBUGS. If you use informative priors, you can pretty much fit anything. You can also use it to tell you whether your model should be fit in Stata. If using different uninformative priors gives you very different results, you probably shouldn't use Stata for your model, and your best bet is either simplify it or use a subjective Bayesian approach.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim

PS As for breaking your command, I don't think Stata will remember anything.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ann Montgomery
Sent: 09 May 2013 07:59
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: save iterations of xtmelogit - need to break/pause

Hi,I'm running xtmelogit - 4 levels, 160 000 individuals, with a binary outcome using 100% of the computer's CPU - the program has been running for 6 days days and has reached 20 iterations. I would like to "control-." (breaking the run on a Mac) to stop the program for a time and then restart without losing the iterations collected so far. I'm wondering if control-break, followed by .estimates save filename, and then when I want to restart later - type .estimates use filename would work. I've tried it on small sample sets and can't tell if the program is restarting where it left off. Or if there is another way to do it? thanks, Ann MontgomeryUniversity of Toronto