RE: st: multiple indirect effects with binary mediators

From   "Muehleck, Kai" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: multiple indirect effects with binary mediators
Date   Wed, 8 May 2013 08:23:23 +0000

Dear Billy,

thank you for your quick reply! The key variables in my model are:

- gender (IV; female=1),
- number of months on parental leave (MV1; 0 if not on parental leave/no kid),
- holding a management position (MV2; having any subordinates=1) and
- income (DV; natural logarithm of current vocational gross income per hour).

My feeling is that the binary mediator (MV2) is not the main problem (I just realized I mixed up MV1 and MV2 in my previous post; sorry for that). In my view it captures quite well what it is supposed to measure and the distribution is quite ok as well (please let me know if you disagree; 40% of the respondents in the model do have any subordinates [the sample is persons holding an academic degree, that's why the proportion is so high]). Rather my hunch is that the distribution of MV1 is a key problem (75% of all respondents have a value of 0, i.e. have not been on parental leave or have no kid).

What are the problems encountered in Mplus?

Now, there are several technical questions I have but the main problem is: most indirect effects are significant as long as I estimate the model with the maximum number of respondents (N=3720). However, I would also like to analyze subgroups (min. N= 168, max. N=502). Calculating models for the single groups (I have not done a group model yet as too many questions are still pending anyway) mostly yields ns direct and indirect effects. Of course this is related to the smaller N but still the sizes of the effects strike me as pretty big and I think the S.E. are surprisingly large. Effect sizes are reasonably stable in the models for the single groups as compared to the full model but for most variable S.E. increase considerably, sometimes by factor 5. Currently I'm using the WLSMV estimator as this seems the estimator of choice if at least one IV is categorical. I'm asking myself whether there's an alternative to WLSMV with more efficient estimates.

Probably, it is like it is and the model simply doesn't work out for smaller groups. But I would like to check whether an alternative method in Stata (or in Mplus) yields the same results and large S.E. Or I would need to try setting up larger groups (groups are fields of subjects respondents studied) but from a substantial point of view that would clearly be suboptimal.

Any ideas very appreciated!

Best
Kai

HIS Hochschul-Informations-System GmbH
Goseriede 9 | 30159 Hannover | www.his.de
Dr. Kai Mühleck
HIS-Institut für Hochschulforschung
Arbeitsbereich Steuerung, Finanzierung, Evaluation
Internationale Studien & Projektakquise
Telefon +49 (0)511 1220-456 | Fax +49 (0)511 1220-431
E-Mail [email protected]
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hannover, HRB 6489
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Phys. Wolfgang Körner
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Andreas Geiger