st: Keep observations in 1/100 by country and year

From   Estrella Gomez <>
Subject   st: Keep observations in 1/100 by country and year
Date   Tue, 7 May 2013 16:49:39 +0200

Hi, statalisters

I have a dataset with songs by year and country. I would like to keep
only the top 100 songs for each country each year (there are 18
countries and 6 years). I have tried the following:

gsort country year -tot_sales
*because I want the songs with higher number of sales

gen top100=0
bysort country year: replace top100=1 in 1/100
*to generate a dummy that takes value one for the top 100 songs, so I
can drop observations that equals zero

However, Stata says that it's not possible to combine "by" with "in"

Any idea?
Thanks a lot,