st: RE: Problems imputting data

From   Reut Levi <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Problems imputting data
Date   Tue, 7 May 2013 14:06:10 +0000

Dear Miguel,

Save your Excel file as a .csv file (it's one of the saving options on Excel) and then go the STATA and open it from there.  STATA recognizes tab delimited files so that should help your problem.

Good luck,
Reut
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Miguel Angel Duran [[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Problems imputting data

Hi, Statalisters. I am trying to import data into Stata. I have used two
methods. First, I have tried to import from a .txt file using -insheet-.
Second, I have tried to copy and paste from an Excel file on the data
editor. Nevertheless, in both cases, although the original file has 8303
observations, Stata just gets about a third of them (and not the first
third). Using the second method Stata informs me that "You attempted to
paste one or more string values into numeric variables. The contents of
these cells, if any, are unchanged".

Will anyone please help me to know what is going on and how I can solve
this?

Thanks,
Miguel.