Re: st: Destring and split variable

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Destring and split variable
Date   Fri, 3 May 2013 13:47:44 +0100

You don't show any code for us to comment on, but neither -destring-
nor -split- is suitable for this problem.

-destring- is for numbers accidentally trapped in a string variable,
not quite your case in so far as (e.g.) "1 3 9" doesn't fit that

-split- is for splitting on delimiters, and you don't have delimiters
in all your values. When I first wrote -split- (and afterwards) I
wondered about extending -split- to split problems based purely on
location in string and decided that it would just complicate the
syntax when there are easier alternatives. -split- is StataCorp's
responsibility now, but they haven't moved in that direction either.

I guess you want first, third, _fifth_ digits in which case try

foreach j in 1 3 5 {
     gen digit`j'  = substr(Variable1, `j', 1)

If you want those results to be numeric then wrap the RHS in -real()-.

tab1 digit?

to check results carefully and follow with -destring- if needed.