Re: st: RE: Re: Reshaping dataset

From   Andrea Molinari <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: Reshaping dataset
Date   Thu, 2 May 2013 00:03:11 -0300

Yep, that was the problem with the command. Now that I was able to run
the whole set of commands, I get something quite weird, and I'm not
really sure about what step is causing it...

I get different results for "valrm" as I run and re-run the do-file...

I copy the syntax below, does anyone know what might be hapening?

Cheers!
Andrea

////////////////////////////////
clear

set mem 1g

use "cadenas.dta"

sort cuci5d

save "cadenas.dta", replace

clear

use "datos pry.dta"

sort cuci5d

merge m:m cuci5d using "cadenas.dta"

assert value==. if _merge==2

drop if _merge==2

drop _merge

save "prycadenas.dta", replace

clear

use "usoecon.dta"

sort usoecon

clear

use "prycadenas.dta"

merge m:1 usoecon using "usoecon.dta"

drop if _merge==1
drop if _merge==2

drop _merge

drop hs cuci5d flow usoecon

save "prycadenas.dta", replace

bysort year partner cadena subcadena flores: egen double svalue=sum(value)

bysort year partner cadena subcadena flores: keep if _n==1

drop value

reshape wide svalue, i(year cadena subcadena flores) j(partner)

gen double valmcs=svalue32+svalue76+svalue858

rename svalue0 valwld

gen valrm=valwld-valmcs

////////////////////////////////

On 1 May 2013 21:19, Sarah Edgington <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andrea,
> What syntax did you use?  It sounds like you tried to do a 1:1 merge when
> you needed a 1:m merge.
> If I'm reading your description right, you have 1 observation per SITC in
> your master data and you want that to match to ALL the chains with that SITC
> in your using data.  As long as both those things are true, merge 1:m should
> get you what you need.
> -Sarah

Andrea Molinari, PhD
Investigadora Asistente