Re: st: foreign language symbols not recognized in string variables

Subject   Re: st: foreign language symbols not recognized in string variables
Date   Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:15:30 -0400

Dear Audinga,

Most modern software (OS and applications) work with Unicode. Stata
does not work with Unicode. Unicode encodes characters with 2 or more
bytes. In Stata each character must be 1 byte only. You need to make
sure the input CSV file is encoded in a codepage proper for your
region, presumably 1252.

See more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252

Make sure your text editor does NOT save the text in Unicode. Some
editors do this automatically when they detect non-ASCII characters.

Note that you can use only one codepage for the whole file (characters
absent in ASCII and current ANSI page will be usually replaced with
the ?-marks).

Note that Stata still may not be displaying these characters correctly
(you also need to set up the fonts in Stata correctly), but may be
processing the data correctly.  Use the -hexdump- command of Stata to
see the hex codes of characters in your file.

I worked with Cyrillic, Vietnamese and other alphabets in Stata, so
this is definitely possible. Just requires some adjustment of
settings.

Hope this helps.

Best, Sergiy