Re: st: Extended Macro function -- dir, and case-sensitivity

From   daniel klein <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Extended Macro function -- dir, and case-sensitivity
Date   Fri, 26 Apr 2013 00:47:14 +0200

actually I have been bitten by exactly the same thing writing a
program once. I have decided to write the program in a way, that
uppercase letters imply the -respectcase- option, as I find this more

I agree that the documentation on this can be quite irritating, even
though the examples make it very clear:

"In Windows, without the respectcase option, all filenames would be
converted to lowercase before being compared with pattern and possibly

I would like to see this sentence in the "main description" where they
write about -strmatch- being used internally.

Also, since Stata is case-sensitive and all its commands and functions
(including -strmatch-) are case-sensitive even on a Windows machine,
it seems a litte inconsistent that -dir- internally converts uppercase
letters to lowercase letters if not specifically told otherwise.