st: marginsplot and transformed dependent variable

From   "Tom Robinson" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: marginsplot and transformed dependent variable
Date   Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:11:17 +1200

Hi, I am wanting to look at the effect of body mass index on CV risk
factors (HbA1c, BP, lipids) in people with T2 diabetes.

I am using linear regression to control for demographic variables and
have categorized BMI. I would like to use margins and marginsplot to
present the results.

Mt problem is that the models that include the dependent variables (the CV
risk factors) untransformed have poor post-estimation diagnostics i.e.
non-normal residuals, heteroskedasticity, and poor fit

If I transform the dependent variables (log or inverse) the models are much
better.  But then it is difficult to present the results to a general
readership.  Is it possible to take the transformed margins estimates and
un-transform them?  When I do it by hand they don't look right so maybe
this doesn't make sense.

Thanks for any advice

Tom Robinson
4 Domain St.