Re: Re: st: xtlogit - lagged dependent variable as independent variable

From   Jeremy Wells <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: xtlogit - lagged dependent variable as independent variable
Date   Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:17:25 -0500

Andreas,

I am not a methodologist, so please do not take my advice as any
sort of authoritative position. I have dealt with these issues quite a bit
in my own work though, so I have some personal preferences.

Again, I would strongly recommend Beck and Katz's work. In the article
I referenced, they conclude, "there is nothing about lagged dependent
variables that makes them generically harmful" (350-351). They also
conclude that adding a second period lag (L2.DV plus lags of all
independent variables, which they call ADLLDV2) is actually preferred,
though they do not go so far as to have four lags. Again, this is the conclusion
of Beck and Katz, and they have several critics. Also, they do not mention the
Arellano-Bond method, and I am not familiar with it, so I cannot offer any help
there.

In terms of your specific case, I would be concerned about including a four
period lag with only ten years worth of data. You would essentially be throwing
out almost the first half of your data. Just keep that in mind.

Jeremy Wells
Ph.D. Student
LSU Dept. of Poli. Sci.
324 Stubbs Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803

Jeremy,

thanks a lot for your fast and detailed answer.

One short question just to make sure:

As I understand from your answer there is no further adjustment - comparable to the Arellano-Bond adjustment - needed when using a lagged dependent variable (given my dataset characteristics and the fact that I use -xtlogit, re- and not a linear regression model). Does this stand true if I add more than one lagged variable?
-xtlogit strategy L.strategy L2.strategy L3.strategy L4.strategy company_age company_size industry, re-

I want to use this model to check how many years back have an influence on the choice of the strategy in the current period.

Thanks a lot and best wishes
Andreas Schiffelholz