Re: st: Identify observations within a variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Identify observations within a variable
Date   Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:24:53 +0100

There is no such option to -egen-'s -mode()- but the problem yields to
an approach from first principles.

bysort artist isrc_country : gen total_sales = sum(sales)
by artist isrc_country : replace total_sales = total_sales[_N]
bysort artist (total_sales) : gen origin = isrc_country[_N]

The first two lines could be replaced by an -egen- call, but this code
fragment exposes what is happening underneath that.