Re: st: survey answers imported from google, checkbox type

From   Steven Young <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: survey answers imported from google, checkbox type
Date   Sun, 21 Apr 2013 18:40:11 -0700

I did read them, and I just used reshape, but it is still somewhat lacking...

After I used split, I wrote "gen id = _n" and reshaped based on the
stub from the split

Now I have:

id      _j          stub
1       1           boy girl
1       2           boy boy
1       3           girl girl
2       1           boy girl
2       2           girl girl
2       3
3       1           boy boy
3       2
3       3
4       1           girl girl
4       2
4       3

I managed to assign a numerical value through gen and recode to each
stub's data, and relabeled it as well.

Two last questions:

There's an option for "none". That means someone did not pick "boy
girl", "boy boy" or "girl girl". As it is, right now that option would
show up under _j = 1.
id     _j     stub
5      1      none
5      2
5      3

What's the best way to take this into consideration/introduce this var
so that all id's have that 4th option??

How do I now re-sort/reshape this back into wide so that it shows up as:
        Var1       Var2       Var3       Var4
1     boy girl   boy boy  girl girl
2     boy girl                  girl girl
3                    boy boy
4                                   girl girl
5                                                 None