st: R: Treating ind. vars in logit

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: R: Treating ind. vars in logit
Date   Sat, 20 Apr 2013 16:29:28 +0200

Athinagoras may be interested in taking a look at -help ologit-  and click
on [R] ologit.

Kind Regads,

-----Messaggio originale-----
[] Per conto di Athinagoras
Inviato: sabato 20 aprile 2013 15:44
Oggetto: st: Treating ind. vars in logit

My DV is a binary variable (Yes/No) and I am using a logit regression

As for my independent variables,there are three I'm primarily interested in.
They are all ordinal categorical variables,each of which is of the form:

Strongly Agree
Strongly Disagree

Whats the best way to include those variables in the model?

I could arbitrarily plug some ordered values to each answer (e.g. -10 for
"Strongly Disagree", -5 for "Disagree", 0 for "Indifferent", etc).

I could create dummies for each category and put them into the regression.

Or,finally, I could create one dummy for each variable which divides the
categories in half and put them into the regression e.g. dummy=1 if ("Str.
agree" or "Agree") and dymmy=0 if ("Indif." or "Disagree" or "Str.

Which one of the three would you propose I do or, do you recommend any other

Appreciate your time.