Re: st: Problem with -gdecomp- using probit

From   "Bartus Tamás" <>
Subject   Re: st: Problem with -gdecomp- using probit
Date   Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:29:56 +0200

Dear Vassilis,

I do not maintain gdecomp because there are arguments against variable-level decomopsitions.
I am aware of the error message and recenlty I made a change which hopefully solves your problem.

To reinstall gdedomp, please use the commands

net from "";
net install gdecomp, replace

Hope this helps,

On 13/04/18, wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am trying to do a variable-specific decomposition on the results of a
> probit regression. I am using the -gdecomp- command available from SSC
> (ssc install gdecomp, replace). This also requires -margeff- to be
> installed. For both commands I am using what I believe are the latest
> versions (Version 2.2.0, 20 August 2009).
> When a run the decomposition on the probit I get the following error:
> . gdecomp group: probit un hh_size foreign married schl_e age age2
> = invalid name
> r(198);
> I get the same error message when I run -gdecomp- for a logit. But the
> decomposition works fine when I run it on a linear regression (which is
> however the wrong regression for my data): gdecomp group :  regress y x1
> x2
> I don't think there's anything wrong with my model or the data, as the
> probit estimation runs fine on its own and the -margeff- command also
> works fine following the -probit- estimation.
> Any ideas as to what may be going on??!!
> Thanks in advance,
> Vassilis
> PS: I am aware of the 'nldecompose- command, but this doesn't seem to
> offer an option for a variable-specific decomposition...
> Dr Vassilis Monastiriotis
> Hellenic Observatory, European Institute, LSE
> email:
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Tamas Bartus, PhD
Associate Professor, Deputy Director
Institute of Sociology and Social Policy
Corvinus University, Budapest
1093 Budapest, Közraktár utca 4-6.
Room 424.
Phone:  +36-1-482-7301