Re: st: Removing outliers from my dataset

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Removing outliers from my dataset
Date   Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:59:44 +0100

See also the thread starting at
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-03/msg01325.html

including this advice from one of our founders

In 1827 Olbers asked Gauss "What should count as an unusual or too
large a deviation? I would like to receive more precise directions."
Gauss in his reply was disinclined to give any more directions and
compared the situation to everyday life, where one often has to make
intuitive judgments outside the reign of formal and explicit rules.