st: median without current observation

From   Andres Silva <>
Subject   st: median without current observation
Date   Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:29:16 +0200

Dear statausers,

I want to create a variable "mediany", which needs to be regional
median (without considering the current value of "y"). I mean I need
to calculate the median with the remaining values of "y" in each
specific region.

by region: egen mediany=median(y)
How can I tell stata not use the current "y" value?

I appreciate any advice, thanks, Andres