st: RE: Error message while renaming

From   "Sarah Edgington" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Error message while renaming
Date   Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:18:01 -0700

You can't rename the variable MAR_STATUS_1997.02 because that's an invalid
You can't use a period as part of a variable name.  See -help varname-

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Md. Alauddin
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:58 PM
Subject: st: Error message while renaming

Dear Statalist,
I want to use the following command to rename a variable: rename E7011702
MAR_STATUS_1997.02. It returns the following error message.

too many wildcards in newname
    You requested E7011702 be renamed MAR_STATUS_1997.02.  There are more
wildcards in new than in old.
    Wildcards in old and new correspond one-to-one from left-to-right unless
you specify explicit subscripts in
    new.  Anyway, rename ran out of wildcards in old when matching the
wildcards in new.  Perhaps you just made
    a mistake or perhaps you forgot an explicit subscript in new.  Or
perhaps you forgot to specify option
    addnumber, which allows you to specify an extra #, (#), (##), ...

Is there any way out? Pls note that I prefer to keep the name exactly
MAR_STATUS_1997.02.  Thanks in advance.