Re: st: Imputing for missing proportions

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Imputing for missing proportions
Date   Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:08:56 +0200

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Alan Acock wrote:
> Nick is right that missing at random is a tough assumption, but it is easier than missing completely at random that is needed by listwise/case wise deletion.

Listwise deletion does not require MCAR, it only requires that the
probability of missingness is indepdent from the
response/explained/dependent/left-hand-side/y variable. See for
example: Paul D. Allison (2001) Missing Data. Thousand Oaks: Sage,
footnote 1. I find it a lot harder to a priori rank this assumption
against MAR in terms of reasonableness.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50