RE: st: Interaction terms interpretation when one variable is omitted

From   "Mirnezami, Oliver" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Interaction terms interpretation when one variable is omitted
Date   Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:54:16 +0000

Dear David

Thank you so much for your help.

Following your advice, I've made a new variable treat_status which is a categorical variable and equals 0 for the control group (anyone who is employed in the period) and then takes a value of 1 if treat_emp ==1 , 2 if treat_unemp ==1 , 3 if treat_ret ==1 etc. 4 = not in labour force, 5 = disabled.

treat_status |
           |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
          0 |     29,869       97.66       97.66
          1 |        436        1.43       99.08
          2 |         87        0.28       99.37
          3 |        123        0.40       99.77
          4 |         66        0.22       99.98
          5 |          5        0.02      100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
      Total |     30,586      100.00

I then ran the following regression using the factor variable notation in Stata (I've included a few explanatory variables and also time dummies)

xtreg health i.treat_status age i.married ln(income) `yeareffects1994to2010', fe vce(cluster id)

treat_status |
                1  |  -.0196492   .0380383    -0.52   0.605    -.0942113    .0549129
                2  |  -.0938826   .1191151    -0.79   0.431    -.3273705    .1396053
                3  |  -.0601347   .1000886    -0.60   0.548    -.2563271    .1360578
                4  |  -.0004453   .1684459    -0.00   0.998     -.330631    .3297403
                5  |  -1.043159    .355558    -2.93   0.003    -1.740119   -.3461987

             _cons |   5.382643   .1899976    28.33   0.000     5.010212    5.755074

Can I then just compare these coefficients and say that for example, people that are unemployed following job loss (category 2) have worse health than people who regain employment following job loss (category 1) i.e. compare -0.093 with -0.019. And all of these labour force statuses post job loss result in worse health on average compared to my control group (category 0) who have not experienced job loss as all have a negative sign in relation to the reference group. Does the constant just refer to the value of the control group?

One thing that I found confusing was that when I re-ran the regression using the original binary treatment variable (i.e. 0 = control group, 1 = job loss and any labour force status), the constant was slightly different than above when using the categorical variable (5.37 vs 5.38). Why are the constants not the same when both refer to the same control group?

   treat |   -.032478   .0365249    -0.89   0.374    -.1040735    .0391176
             _cons |   5.371252   .1897432    28.31   0.000      4.99932    5.743184

To show you the construction of this variable: (i.e. 0 = same control group as categorical. 1 is the sum of all labour force statuses categories.)

treatj
|      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
          0 |     29,869       97.66       97.66
          1 |        717        2.34      100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
      Total |     30,586      100.00

One other query I had was when you mentioned about the constant term and the definitions of the predictor variables. You said that 'when the model includes treat_emp, but not treat_unemp or treat_ret, the individuals whose values on treat_unemp or treat_ret are accounted for by the constant term, and the coefficient of treat_emp would be interpreted as a comparison between the individuals for whom treat_emp = 1 and the aggregate of all other individuals.'

However, originally when I did the series of separate regressions, I only had individuals that were:
1) either in the control group or treat_emp. The individuals in treat_unemp or treat_ret etc. were not present in the regression.
2) either in the control group or treat_unemp. The individuals in treat_emp or treat_ret etc. were not present in the regression.
2) either in the control group or treat_ret. The individuals in treat_emp or treat_unemp etc. were not present in the regression.

So I thought that it would be ok because the reference point (i.e. the control group) was always the same each time. I checked this though and the constant term was different in each regression which confused me.

I think I will stick with the categorical factor variable approach you suggested as this seems to work ok - I would be grateful if you could confirm that my interpretation when using this approach is correct and would appreciate any additional clarity on my other queries, particularly regarding the constant term.

Thank you again. I really appreciate all your help.

Kind regards

Oliver