st: RE: Re: Making panel format

From   "Md. Alauddin Majumder" <mm4v@mtmail.mtsu.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Making panel format
Date   Thu, 11 Apr 2013 02:55:59 +0000

Dear Joseph Coveney,

Thank you so much for the help! I will try it.

Regards
Majumder

From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] on behalf of Joseph Coveney [stajc2@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:36 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Re: Making panel format

Md. Alauddin Majumder wrote:

I want to reshape the following data to make it panel:

ID status_1997january status_1997february . . . status_2010december

[snip]

Is there any way to do this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You could try something like the following.

    reshape long status, i(ID) j(discard) string
    generate int yearmonth = monthly(substr(discard, 2, .), "YM")
    format yearmonth %tm
    drop discard

Joseph Coveney