st: Dropping all subjects but those in the last period

From   "Miguel Angel Duran" <maduran@uma.es>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Dropping all subjects but those in the last period
Date   Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:26:46 +0200

My dataset includes observations for about 9000 companies per year in a
twenty years period. To clean the dataset, I would like to drop all those
companies that are not present in the last year (because the rest went
bankrupt or were absorbed), but I do not know how to do it. Can this be done
just by splitting the datasets by period and then merging them?  Each
company has the same id across years. Thanks.

Miguel A. Duran.