st: Fine-tuning -ring- legend placement to avoid overprinting on plot

From   graupel75@gmail.com
To   Statalist <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Fine-tuning -ring- legend placement to avoid overprinting on plot
Date   Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:56:24 +0800

Nice Cox writes:

>I don't know why you asked for -pos(2)-. The main place where there is
>space is in the bottom left-hand corner.

>legend(size(large) ring(0) pos(7) col(1))

>separates the legend and the plotted curves.

Thanks Nick; my apologies; the dummy data doesn't fully illustrate the
issue; the plot with my real data has empty space only in the pos(2)
quadrant.

Dear 'Listers,

I am trying to 'nudge' the legend key and text to avoid impinging on
my plot. There's an 'East' etc. option in the graphics editor, but it only
applies to the text and not the key; the justification options have
also failed. Any of the graphics gurus out there have any ideas?

***** Begin example *****

net install gr0002_3.pkg // install scheme 'lean2'

webuse brcancer, clear
stset rectime, failure(censrec = 1)

sts graph, by(hormon) ///
legend(size(large) ring(0) pos(2) justification(right)) ///
legend(label (1 "Long Category Name") label (2 "Category A")) ///
legend(label (3 "Category B") label (4 "Category C")) ///
legend(order(2 3 4 1)) //

***** End example *****

cheers!
Andrew Lover

Epidemiologist
Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology Research (CIDER)
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health
National University of Singapore