st: forval query

From   "Mirnezami, Oliver" <O.Y.Mirnezami@warwick.ac.uk>
Subject   st: forval query
Date   Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:32:12 +0000

Hi

I'm having some difficulty in using forval and foreach commands and was hoping for some help with the syntax please.

Previously i've been renaming variables manually en masse using the following code:

rename  r2mobila mobila_1994
rename  r3mobila mobila_1996
rename  r4mobila mobila_1998
.etc..
rename  r10mobila mobila_2010

i.e. '2' corresponds with '1994', '3' with '1996' etc.

I've tried using the following command but i get an r(111) error:

forval i = 2/10 {
forval j = 1994/2010 {
foreach k in r`i'mobila {
rename `k' mobila_`j'
}
}
}

I don't think I've managed to link '2' with '1994' and '3' with '1996' properly.

I have to do this technique for many variables and so used this case as an example.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Oliver