st: Plotting and testing of interaction effects (continuous variables)

From   Roman Wörner <h0953997@wu.ac.at>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Plotting and testing of interaction effects (continuous variables)
Date   Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:19:24 +0200

Dear list members,

I am fairly new to STATA and statistics in general - I'm thus very sorry in case my questions appear pretty basic to most of you.

As part of my project I regress a performance variable (DV) on two explanatory variables, their interaction and a set of controls (IVs). Both explanatory variables (the interacted ones) are continuous. To allow for a better interpretation of the interaction many papers present simple slope graphs of the interactions (basically high/low combinations of the two variables) combined with significance tests of the slope of the one variable at the two levels of the other.

I found "Cohen et al. (2003): Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences" very helpful since they explain the math in Chapter 7 "Interactions Among Continuous Variables". So I think I should be able to do both the plotting and testing by hand. However, I was wondering if there is a (user written) STATA command available which could be used to create the plots as well as to do the significance tests.

Many thanks

Roman