RE: st: Multivariate Normal CDF

From   "David Roodman ([email protected])" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multivariate Normal CDF
Date   Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:49:51 +0000

Ali, for your bivariate example, you'll also need to divide the two coordinates by the standard deviations. Something like:

scalar rho= -.1 / (.2*.4)^.5
scalar x1s = (x1 - 3) / sqrt(.2)
scalar x2s = (x1 - (-1)) / sqrt(.4)
scalar cdf = binormal( x1s, x2s , rho )

For higher dimensions, Stata offers the ghk() and ghkfast() routines, which are bit more complicated to use. I've written my own version, ghk2(), which has some additional features and is often faster.
--David

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Hashemi <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 12:11:39 -0400
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Multivariate Normal CDF

Dear listserv members,

I'm trying to compute the normal cdf at 1000 points (each point is
defined by a combination of x1 and x2) using the following mean (mu)
and standard deviation (sigma).

mu=[ 3, -1 ]
sigma=[ 0.2, -0.1 \  -0.1, 0.4 ]

I know this can be easily done in MATLAB by P = normcdf(X,mu,sigma).
In Stata, I have used binormal(x1,x2,ro) function as follows:
gen ro= -.1 / (.2*.4)^.5
gen cdf=binormal( x1-3 , x2-(-1) , ro )

I have two questions:
1) Is this correct?
2) How can this be done for cases with more than two variables
(M-variate instead of  bivariate)? Is there a more general approach
(like in MATLAB) that can be used for generating the joint cumulative
distribution of an M-variate normal distribution?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Ali