Re: st: use loop to add plots to scatter plot

From   Alberto Dorantes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: use loop to add plots to scatter plot
Date   Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:57:28 -0600

Hi Linda.
I did something similiar few weeks ago. The example I did was about
graphing different investment portfolios based on 2 stocks, but
varying the correlation among the monthly stock returns. Try my
following code (just copy and paset on your do-file-editor, and run
it):

clear
* Create a dataset of 11 observations with 2 variables: weight a and weight b
set obs 11
egen a=fill(0(1)10)
replace a=a/10
gen b=1-a
* Each observation represents 2 weights or percentages invested in 2
financial assets, so each observation represents 1 investment
portfolio
* I will use real data of 2 Stocks, A and B.
local paramgraficas ""
local i=0
* Define the expected values of monthly Stock Return A and Stock
Return B, based on the last 27 months:
scalar ERA = .01387535
scalar ERB = .00309298
* The variance-covariance matrix (2x2) of historical monthly returns
of both Stocks is the following:
matrix input COV = (0.005692,-0.00108\-0.00108,0.011222)
* I do a loop varying the pairwise correlation between the returns
forvalues rho1=-1(0.5)1 {
   local i=`i' + 1
   * Calculate the expected value of the portfolio return based on the
Expected value of Stock A and Stock B returns:
   gen ERP`i' = a*ERA + b*ERB
   label variable ERP`i' "rho = `rho1'"
   * Calculate the expected value of the portfolio variance:
   gen varP`i' = a^2*COV[1,1] + b^2*COV[2,2] +
2*a*b*`rho1'*sqrt(COV[1,1])*sqrt(COV[2,2])
   * Now calculate the risk of the portfolio i:
   gen sdP`i' = sqrt(varP`i')
   * Now append the twoway graph parameters:
   local paramgraficas "`paramgraficas'(connected ERP`i' sdP`i', mlabel(a)) "
}
* Finally do a twoway graph using the appended macro paramgraficas:

twoway `paramgraficas', note(Weights of Stock A are shown in each point) ///
       title(Portfolio Frontiers (2 Stocks) varying their pairwise
correlation ) ///
  ytitle(Return) xtitle(Risk)

I hope this help.

Alberto Dorantes