Re: st: Drop columns based on an argument

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Drop columns based on an argument
Date   Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:28:18 +0000

For "columns" read "variables".

Look again at the syntax of -drop-. You can -drop- observations or
variables, so there are two syntaxes, which you can't mix.

But your syntax sounds the wrong way round. It sounds as if you want
something like

forvalues i=2/1285 {
         if var`i'[1]=="#ERROR" {
                  drop var`i'

The other problem sounds like

replace id = substr(id, 1, 6) if substr(id, -4, .) == "(PE)"

I've often commented on this list on people trying regex when
something more basic suffices. (There is no -regex- command;
presumably you mean regex functions.)